All you ladies know what month October is: breast cancer awareness month. Pink ribbons everywhere. And, yet, for all this "awareness" we've dropped the ball on the basic facts about breast cancer. I can tell you this, because I AM A BREAST CANCER SURVIVOR of over 8 years.
I would like to take a moment and share with you what every woman needs to know.
1. Breast cancer CAN hurt (mine did!) So, if there is any symptom not normal for you, don't let nurses or doctors shrug it off. Be like a dog with a bone and do not take no for an answer until you have made them run every test to prove to you that you do not have breast cancer.
2. Over 75% of breast cancer patients have NO FAMILY HISTORY of the disease. (I was the first in a very large family of women.)
3. Mammograms only catch about 80% of breast cancers. (Read #1 again.)
4. Men can get breast cancer, too!
5. Breast cancer is best treated early, so don't let fear of diagnosis & treatment prevent you from getting examined. Furthermore, there are many financial support options for women who don't have health insurance, so have faith and get to a doctor!
6. Most types of breast cancer is treatable and beatable! Again, it's best to catch it EARLY!